School mornings are usually pretty shoat and it can be difficult to think of a new and alternative breakfast options. A breakfast that can be pre-made AND is healthy is always welcome. These healthy bars are a pleasant change and can be kept in the fridge for up to three days or frozen and defrosted at room temperature. You could even put a frozen one in your child’s lunchbox… it will help keep the contents cold and will be defrosted and ready to go at the lunch bell. Healthy, stress free and practical. Perfect!
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
- 4 tbsp honest/date syrup/maple syrup
- 3 tbsp nut butter
- 200g/2 cups rolled oats
- 100g/0.75 cup blueberries
- Yogurt drizzle topping
- 1 tbsp plain yoghurt/coconut cream
- 2 tsp orange juice.
- Preheat the oven to 170c/gas mark 3
- Line a baking dish with grease-proof paper.
- Melt the nut butter, honey or coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, when it has all combined and melted add the oats and mix until all the oats and covered
- Fold in blueberries.
- Put all the mixture into the baking dish and press it down firmly to compact it.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until the sides start to brown.
- Leave to cool in a dish, once cool put in the fridge for at least 60 minutes (but preferably overnight, to prevent the bars crumbling and falling apart.
- Once completed cooled, mix orange juice and yoghurt (or coconut cream) together and drizzle over the top, then cut into bars.